What should come as a shock to no one, Amazon announced that starting July 22, 2019, any ASIN with a title that does not conform to its Product Title Requirements will be surpassed from search results entirely.
Update (July 19, 2019): Amazon changed the link in a help article I had sourced after this was posted. I updated the title requirements to link to the inventory templates and style guides for each category.
There’s not a lot to say here except for anyone who occupies a shared listing (wholesalers, arbitragers especially), watch out. Go through your listings ASAP and submit changes. If the changes don’t stick, open cases. Get on this now before July 15.
As a refresher, here’s what Amazon’s title requirements look like:
The title length should stick to 50 characters as much as possible. It’s a general rule but not a hard and fast requirement (in that 51 characters won’t cause problems, but 500 characters probably will).
- Capitalize the first letter of each word.
- Do not use ALL CAPS.
- Conjunctions (and, or, for) and articles (the, a, an) should not be capitalized.
- Don’t capitalize prepositions with fewer than five letters (in, on, over, with).
Numbers and symbols
- Use numerals (2 instead of two)
- Spell out measurements ( 6 inches not 6″ )
- Don’t use symbols, such as ~ ! * $ ?
- Don’t use Type 1 High ASCII characters (Æ, ©, ô, etc.)
- Include the size and color in “child” ASINs for variations
- Don’t include price or promotional messages, such as “sale” or “free ship”
- Don’t use subjective commentary, such as “Hot Item” or “Best Seller”
- Your merchant name for Brand or Manufacturer information should not be included, unless your product is Private Label.
The main title shows on the product page. The variation title only shows up in the cart.
I have a feeling this will end up burning a lot of people, especially those who aren’t aware of Amazon’s rules either through willful ignorance or just being new to the platform. I know I have more than a handful of ASINs I need to go through and update. I imagine I’ll be seeing changes happen soon regardless but getting them in early is key to making sure some clown of a seller doesn’t do something dumb to skirt the rules.Last Updated: February, 7th, 2021 at 07:19 pm UTC